Welcome to the companion monthly magazine to our upcoming book “From the Titanic to the Ark – Handbook to Survive and Thrive in Epic Times” to help you plan, protect and prosper!

We share important aspects in preparing ourselves for transformation. The hardest work will be emotional as we welcome a complete shift in paradigm (our view of the world and our relationship to it) – in other words there will be no familiar frame of reference since change at this order of magnitude is not history repeating itself. What's more, nobody has been here before....which is to say we are all here on the leading edge - no followers looking for leaders, no leaders gathering followers - we do the work together shoulder to shoulder…and we’re making it up as we go!

For our well being, it is crucial that we do so consciously! Should we be asleep at the wheel, we couldn't help but waste valuable energy resisting 'ever changing form' by projecting our perspective backward in guilt or forward in anxiety – this is giving away our power. Rather, by becoming self aware and authentically present, we arouse the genius within while summoning creative intelligence to work through us – standing ever ready to anticipate and harmonize with real time events. And of course, let us look to one another side-by-each for support and encouragement. The obvious starting point is right here, right now. Surf’s up – let’s catch a wave!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Integrating - Personal Story

Here is a beautiful summary of the impact that the whole-person paradigm (Integrating - Body, Mind, Heart and Spirit) can have on any community - in this case, the impact of a team mentored, coached and led my this amazing woman for the organization she worked for. I know of her results first hand - I lead the sales and marketing teams - my teams made the promises, her teams fulfilled on the promises! 
Colleen says, "I had an "aha" moment when I read the 8th Habit a couple years ago.  The principles laid out in the book mirrored what I had been feeling from the first day I started working years ago. I was in a position of leadership at my last job and finally had a chance to put these principles into practice.  The result was that I lead a department that was often called out as an example of a highly effective department to others.  I was often asked by employees outside of the department if we had an opening because they wanted to be a part of what we were doing.  I'll be honest, my methods were not always accepted by senior management but fortunately I was given the latitude to make my own choices.  There was always a small struggle when someone new with old corporate baggage joined the team but in time each would realize it was much better working this way.  The result was a feeling of fulfillment that I hadn’t experienced before.  
When the recent economic down-turn took its toll on the company the department was disbanded.  It was heartbreaking to see each person go after witnessing their growth and seeing them blossom into people that were happy and excited to get up and go to work everyday.  We all agreed that we had never worked with a team before that had so much synergy and were deeply saddened by the fact that we might not have the chance to work in an environment like that again.  Seeing the difference first hand between a mentoring type of leadership versus a dictatorship style was enlightening and made the work experience just plain happier.  My dream is to someday own a business and I will put this type of leadership into permanent practice.  In the mean time I hope to find another company that will either already have this philosophy in place or support and allow me, as my former company did, to implement it."

I can't remember if the 8th Habit is the book in which I read about clock watchers. Clock watchers are just interested in putting in the minimum and leaving as soon as the clock strikes 5. I have a funny story about that. On my window sill above my desk I had a clock with a frosted piece of glass for the face. One day Ken came in to ask me a question and saw the clock. His face is very easy to read. I saw his instant recognition of the same passage in the book and a very confused look but I didn't say anything. What he didn't realize was that the clock didn't work and the only reason it was there was because I liked how the light shined through it. It was the artistic side of me that wanted it there. The lesson to me was to look further before I judge. That was just a small, quick moment in time and yet I remember it like yesterday because of the significance.
I wish you the best in your new endeavor. I think you're going to do very well.  You are an awesome mentor!
Love,
Colleen


Thank you Colleen for taking the time to share your experience - how illuminating!
These two lovely paintings ("Who Is This Stranger" and "Sad To See Him Go") are an example of Colleen's artistic expression and of what she truly loves to do - this is where time stands still for her. I love the colors and the personality! She had a stellar career interrupted by the recession. Meanwhile, she knows that entrepreneurialism is where it's at! The risks and the rewards are greater. When we are willing to take full personal responsibility, we are entitled to claim a personal freedom over our lives in every regard - responsibility and freedom go hand in glove. 


Quick Tip: I know that eventually Colleen will have a thriving business that will make room for her full creative expression on her terms - in building her principle centered business, in her artistic expression, and contributing to and enjoying her family. Meanwhile, if you would like to build confidence into your organization where you can absolutely trust your backline team to deliver the products/services as promised at your frontline, make this woman your team captain and/or partner! Contact me if I can help with an introduction. Peace, prosperity, and full personal creative expression to us all!


PS Colleen's genius and mine are very different and as it turns out highly complementary. I will discuss in detail in my upcoming posts how to discover our unique genius - and how we assemble teams to support and allow one another to contribute each our unique genius. That makes for a remarkably powerful and effective team and dynamite results. Again, this applies to successful, happy and fulfilling marriages, families, communities and organizations alike.
blog comments powered by Disqus